|Volume 6, Issue 12||
Monika’s House Wish List
Since 1975, The Domestic Violence Resource Center (DVRC) has been the only nonprofit agency in Washington County specifically serving survivors of domestic violence. Their free and bilingual services focus on prevention (community outreach, trainings, education, library), intervention (Monika’s House Shelter, legal advocacy, counseling, group support, art/play/filial therapy), and empowerment (Survivor Empowerment Fund, advocacy, resources, referrals, safety planning).
Monika’s House Shelter is Washington County’s only domestic violence shelter, providing emergency accommodation and other services for adults and children escaping imminent physical danger in family violence situations. It is a 27-bed facility (five family units, two singles rooms) in a safe, confidential location, built with the help of Community Development Block Grant funds in 1999. Named after Monika Voits who was murdered by her husband in 1999, it is the last resort of more than 230 victims of all ages on the run.
The shelter, which is located in the general vicinity of Cedar Mill, is always in need of financial donations, but they also have a Wish List of items that you may have around the house or could provide through your business or organization. The updated Wish List is posted on their website at www.dvrc-or.org.
Items marked with an asterisk* have special restrictions/specifications. Please call 503.640.5352 for more information.
• Van: Our old van for Monika’s House Shelter has finally succumbed to various ailments and the Shelter needs a safe, functioning vehicle.*
• 25 gently used laptop computers to replace our outdated IT infrastructure.*
• Curtains for Monika’s House Shelter windows-- to provide greater privacy & insulation.*
• Twin size sheet sets for Monika’s House Shelter beds.
• Specialized art supplies for our children’s program.*
• Spanish translation services.
• Childcare support services.
• A large freezer for Monika’s House Shelter.
• Disposable cameras for our stalking kits.
• Lawn mower for Monika’s House Shelter.
• Sewing machine for our children’s program and Monika’s House Shelter.
• New twin beds for Monika’s House Shelter.*
• Blankets for Monika’s House Shelter beds.
• New towels for Monika’s House Shelter clients.
• DVD movies for the shelter in nice condition.
• Do you work at or own a grocery store or bakery? Monika’s House Shelter needs weekly bread donations. Can you pledge to donate bread weekly for a month? For two months?
• Gift certificates for pizza—for Movie Night weekly for our clients at Monika’s House Shelter!
• Tools for Monika’s House Shelter.*
• Video game console for older children/young adults at Monika’s House Shelter. Most of our board games, books and toys are for younger children, currently. A video game console with appropriate video games would be a great addition to the Shelter, which can house children up to the age of 17.
For more information about DVRC visit their website www.dvrc-or.org where you can make a secure online donation, or call Sarah Keefe, Community Outreach/Education/Development Coordinator, at 503.640.5352, ext. 308.
Cedar Mill News Subject Index
Published monthly by Cedar Mill Advertising & Design